Thursday, May 31, 2012

Gals We Admire: Leah Eichler

We're a big fan of Leah Eichler's Globe and Mail column about women and careers. And as co-founder of Femme-O-Nomics, a networking and content portal for professional women, it's clear she's got her finger on the pulse when it comes to issues that affect women in the modern-day workplace. Find out how Eichler spends her days, and get some of her personal pearls of wisdom on boosting your own career.

Name: Leah Eichler
Profession: Co-Founder of Femme-O-Nomics
Twitter handle: @femmeonomics

Describe your typical work day, from start to finish
I check my email before even getting out of bed–that’s a problem, right? After I get the kids set for their day, I often jump on the treadmill for half an hour.

I spend an inordinate amount of time on the phone or in front of my laptop. I can often be found speaking to potential interview subjects, my developers, or those just generally interested in my company. I also spend a lot of time writing columns, working on my site and updating my newsletter. In between it all, I usually find time for about 10 to 12 cups of coffee.

When you were a kid, what did you want to grow up to be?
I’ve always wanted to be a writer, although I thought I’d write literary fiction. I also wanted to be a CEO of a company. I guess in some ways, I ended up doing both.

What do you enjoy most about your job?
I love the creative process. Launching a company from scratch allows me to fulfill a creative vision. I get the same joy from writing.

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your profession?
Competition is fierce and compensation is challenging.

Do you believe you had a "calling" for your profession?
Yes, I always felt like this was my calling. It took me a while to act on it, though.

What are the three most important pieces of career advice you would give to other Canadian Career Gals?
There is never the perfect time for change. Before you know it, three years can fly by and you can still feel stuck in your current job.

Be courageous. Playing it safe is boring. There is often less to lose than you think.

Learn to say no. There is nothing more exhilarating than turning down a job or role when you realize your passion is elsewhere.

0 comments:

Post a Comment