Thursday, November 3, 2011

Gals We Admire: Deborah Moskovitch

Deborah Moskovitch certainly has an interesting career. As a divorce consultant, Moskovitch has the task of supporting and advising people through a difficult time in their lives. And she believes her trademarked "SMART" method to dealing with divorce can also be applied to career gals looking to achieve their professional goals.


Name: Deborah Moskovitch
Profession: Divorce Consultant and Educator Author, Radio Host
Twitter handle: @thesmartdivorce

Describe your typical work day, from start to finish
I don’t really have a typical work day because I do so many different things—divorce consulting, writing for more.ca as the divorce expert, blogging for the Huffington Post, researching two new book projects and hosting an online radio. I’m also my own publicist and marketing department! So, when I’m not promoting The Smart Divorce Resource Tool Kit, my latest divorce support initiative, interviewing one of the foremost experts in the divorce arena, consulting with clients, and more, I try to fit in a workout, and I'm always there for my three wonderful children.

When you were a kid, what did you want to grow up to be?
My goals and aspirations seemed to change as I learned more about opportunities and options. At one point I wanted to be a social worker, then a criminal lawyer, moved onto fantasizing about a career in fashion (as I designed and made some of my clothes in high school). I loved the business world as I studied Economics in university, and pursued a successful career in marketing for several years. I’m still growing and learning, and love what I’m doing todayaccomplishment more than I ever dreamed of.


What do you enjoy most about your job?
I don’t consider what I do as a job, but more of a calling. When I wrote The Smart Divorce, my career just unfolded and opportunities presented themselves that I couldn’t resist. I truly believe that if you dream and have passion, with hard work and motivation, so much in a career can be rewarding. I love helping people through the divorce process, learning through the many professionals I speak with and taking that wisdom to the general public. I am fortunate to be able to use my creativity to build on ideas and help people move forward with focus, hope and confidence.  

What do you find to be the biggest challenge in your profession?
I’ve created a very unique niche as a divorce consultant and educator. My biggest challenge has become my greatest strength. The early stages of building my career as a divorce expert were challenging as I am not a lawyer or therapist. Gradually, as many divorce professionals began to see the importance of The Smart Divorce, they have come to respect my work and want to collaborate. I am so well connected with the leading divorce experts across North America that I have become an opinion leader in the media, and sit on the Board of Directors of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)—an interdisciplinary, international association of professionals dedicated to improving the lives of children and families through the resolution of family conflict.

Do you believe you had a "calling" for your profession?
Yes, absolutely I believe I had a calling. Every goal I set for myself once I decided to write a book, I have been able to make happen. I’ve met the most incredible people and my life has changed dramatically. I remember being interviewed for a magazine article and was asked what my dream next steps would be; I said to have my own radio show. Sure enough, right before the article went to print, I was offered my own online radio show—The Smart Divorce. If this isn’t a calling, I don’t know what is! I’m very proud of my accomplishments, but what makes me feel the best is being a good role model for my kids—and seeing that divorce is rich in opportunity to learn and grow from.

What are the most important pieces of career advice you would give to other Canadian Career Gals?
I’d like to provide five pieces of advice based on the acronym I have developed for SMART, when I talk about being Smart about Divorce. The principles can also translate into career advice:
State your goals and objectives upfront. Be focused, realistic and know what you want to achieve.
Maximize your knowledge base. Be a sponge. Learn as much as you can about whatever it is you are pursuing.
Avoid reacting to your emotions. Stay single-minded and business-like.
Retain the best team of professionals your budget allows. Don’t hire resources your business can’t afford. As you grow, gradually you will be able to delegate more.
Treat your job as a business transaction. Do your due diligence and research... and the happiness, success and accomplishments will unfold before you know it.


I heard a very wise saying once: if you can envision it, describe it, and name it, then you can clam it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment